Welcome to Daedalus' Labyrinth

This blog has been created with the intention of posting online some ideas, points of view, histories, stories, tales and anything else that its creators want to write about.

The posts will be signed as from "Daedalus" or from "Uranus", therefore, differenciation will be easily noticed.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Super Moon

As most of you probably know by now, yesterday, the Moon was bigger for some scientific reason or phenomena which I do not remember.
I didn't realize the Moon was bigger though. I remember myself yesterday lying in my bed and watching the Moon outshining the stars upon the sky. The Moon was really big and beautiful and powerful.
Commonly, I feel more sentimental during the full Moon, but yesterday, as I was astonished and staring at the Moon, I felt a strange apathy. I don't know if I can really classify what I felt last night as apathy. I was just hypnotized by something far bigger and more powerful than me.
If I only knew that the Moon was bigger than normally yesterday, I'd have taken some pictures of it. But I did nothing. I just stared at the Moon for as long as I could, which means probably for five or six minutes at the most.
Ten minutes after getting up from my bed, I went to bed again, this time to sleep. And so I slept unaware of the beautiful phenomena I had just wtinessed.
It was a good night of sleep.

In celtic/greek mythology, the Moon was represented by three goddesses. Each one representing one of the Moon's stages also.
The three Goddesses were known as Hecate, Selene and Artemis (the names may change from one culture to another).
Hecate was the Goddess of the New Moon, the darkest night, of the witchcraft and arcanism. The followers of Hecate used to carry flaming torches through the woods during the night and their rituals. Blood, rain, honey and wine have a special meaning for those who adore the New Moon.
Hecate was followed by  two dogs and some snakes. The New Moon, however, was represernted by the Raven.
Selene was the gentle Goddess of the Full Moon. She was charming and a heart-healer. She meant the hope during the night. Night was aforementioned in the blog as a symbol of hopelessness. The Full Moon was represented by a Salmon
Artemis was the Half-Moon Goddess. She was also Apollo's twin sister. The Half-Moon Goddess represented vengeance, the individual justice. She also represented the land, the forests and it's inhabitants, therefore, she was represented by a Stag. The Half-Moon may be compared to an unfinished "business".
I don't even have to mention that I adore these classic marble-made statues. They have such an outstanding, cold and pure beauty that no other style has to compare.

Another curiosity is that the Moon, the Earth and the Sun were also used to represent the mind, the body and the soul. They cannot live out of their natural perfect harmony.
For us, humans, the Moon is one of the few eternal things we see during our brief lifes.
Some things less materialistics can last forever too, or at least, last more than ourselves.
- The Eternal Embrace


Written by Daedalus

1 comment:

  1. Full moon... time for the werewolves. I guess they are happier these days :)

    Thanks for telling about the godesses, I had not known about that before oO

    ReplyDelete